Central Queensland Suicide Prevention Program
Central Queensland Meetings: Suicide Prevention
Central Queensland Region
- Banana Shire Suicide Prevention Group: Meetings are on the second Tuesday of each month from 10:00 am to 11:30 am; in-person and via Microsoft Teams. Contact CQRH Project Officer, Deb, via email at Deborah.Gardumi@cqrdgp.com.au
- Central Highlands Suicide Prevention Group: Meetings are held on the third Wednesday monthly from 10:00 am to 11:00 am; in-person at Youth Justice and via Microsoft Teams. Contact CQRH Project Officer, Loretta, via email to Loretta.Gaudron@cqrdgp.com.au
- Central QLD Community Suicide Prevention Network: Meetings are held on the first Tuesday Visit their website or Facebook. Contact the President of CQCSPN via firstname.lastname@example.org.
CQ Suicide Prevention Plan Survey 2023
We value your opinion and invite you to help inform the next review of the Central Queensland Suicide Prevention Plan.
- CQ Suicide Prevention Plan: CQSPP
- Livingstone Living Well: Health & Wellbeing Community Directory
- CQ Rural Health: Suicide Prevention Training page
- Black Dog Institute: Centre of Research Excellence in Suicide Prevention
- Centre of Best Practice in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention: CBPATSISP
- National Mental Health Commission: National Suicide Prevention Office
Central Queensland Rural Health has been an advocate for collaboration and integration across health services for many years. We continue to engage with local communities across Central Queensland (CQ) to establish strategic suicide prevention partnerships. These partnerships will enable collaboration across health services and communities to develop and implement the CQ Suicide Prevention Plan (CQSPP) based on the 9 Lifespan Strategies. The CQSPP can inform local activities, plans and strategies across all CQ Local Government Areas.
At the end of 2017, Central Queensland Rural Health (CQRH) received funding from the Central Queensland, Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast Primary Health Network (PHN) to lead the planning of community-based suicide prevention activities. Two hundred and seventy people were directly involved in consultation activities across six of the local government areas. Activities have included a survey, ongoing face to face and email communication, attendance at meetings and workshops and resulted in the development of the Central Qld Suicide Prevention Plan.
From this consultation, Leadership Groups were formed in the local government areas where no suicide prevention groups existed; and where possible, existing suicide prevention groups have been supported by the CQRH Project Officers. Action Plans have been created to support the local implementation of the CQ Suicide Prevention Plan.
The different communities are taking ownership of their suicide prevention Action Plans, and deciding what strategies works best for them in their own unique communities.
In 2023, the PHN (CQWBSC) changed their name to Country to Coast Queensland (CCQld), and still deliver the PHN Program in our region. CCQld continue to fund CQRH to lead the planning of community-based suicide prevention activities across Central Queensland. The CQ Suicide Prevention Plan supports the CCQld in their role to commission community-based suicide prevention activities. These activities are integrated with drug and alcohol services, mental health services, and social and emotional well-being services.
If you would like to be involved in the CQ Suicide Prevention Plan in any way, please contact our Project Team on (07) 4992 1040 .
LifeSpan aims to build a safety net for the community by connecting and coordinating new and existing interventions and programs, and building the capacity of the community to better support people facing a suicide crisis. Based on scientific modeling, LifeSpan is predicted to prevent 21% of suicide deaths, and 30% of suicide attempts. The LifeSpan Framework has also been trialed over 11 National Suicide Prevention Trial PHN regions, and the final evaluation report was published in December 2020.
For more information about LifeSpan, please go to https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/research/lifespan
Suicide Prevention Framework Documents
- National Federation Reform Council 2021: Vision for Australia’s future mental health and suicide prevention system
- Australian Government National Mental Health Commission: National Suicide Prevention Adviser and Taskforce: Final Advice
- Commonwealth of Australia: National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan
- Australian Government National Mental Health Commission: National Stigma and Discrimination Reduction Strategy
- Commonwealth of Australia: National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention Strategy
- Commonwealth of Australia: National Strategic Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples’ Mental Health and Social and Emotional Wellbeing
- Gayaa Dhuwi (Proud Spirit): National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership in Mental Health
- Australian Government Department of Veteran Affairs: Veteran Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy and National Action Plan
- Australian Government Department of Health: National Suicide Prevention Trial – Final evaluation report
- Australian Government Department of Health: National Suicide and Self-Harm Monitoring System
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: Suicide and self-harm monitoring
- Australian Government Department of Health: What we’re doing about suicide prevention
- Australian Government Department of Health: The National Suicide Prevention Leadership and Support Program – project information for Primary Health Networks
- Queensland Mental Health Commission: Shifting minds Queensland Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Strategic Plan
- Queensland Mental Health Commission: Every life The Queensland Suicide Prevention Plan
- Griffith University: The Queensland Suicide Register
Primary Health Network and Central Qld Rural Health: Central Queensland Suicide Prevention Plan
For enquiries about the Suicide Prevention Action Plans, please contact the Central Queensland Rural Health’s Suicide Prevention Project Team on: Phone 07 4992 1040
- Banana Shire: Banana Shire- Suicide Prevention Action Plan.
- Central Highlands: Central Highlands- Suicide Prevention Action Plan.
- Livingstone Shire: Livingstone Living Well- Suicide Prevention Action Plan
Please Email the below groups directly to enquire about their Suicide Prevention Strategies.
- Gladstone Region: GRASP Suicide Prevention Strategy
Email: GRASP Secretary Dani: email@example.com
- Rockhampton Region: CQCSPN Suicide Prevention Strategy
Email: CQCSPN President firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Queensland Rural Health has met the requirements of the ISO 2001:2015 Quality Management Systems Standards.
PO Box 368, 66 Callide St
BILOELA QLD 4715
(07) 4992 1040