Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme (Centrelink)
- The child meets the living, age and study requirements, and
- is geographically isolated,
- has a disability or special need, or
- has no reasonable access to a government school.
For more information please visit this website or contact Centrelink by phone on 132 318.
Australian Institute for disaster Resilience: Education for Young People
Drug and Alcohol Education
The Australian Government Department of Health has a collection of online resources called Drug Help. These resources include how to find help, the risks of drug use and drug information, as well as targeted resources for parents and friends of drug users, parents and teachers.
The Queensland Department of Education’s alcohol and other drugs education program is also available to all Queensland schools (other state government education departments are likely to have equivalents.). The department also provides resources for parents which go along with the school program.
The Alcohol and Drug Foundation seeks to prevent alcohol and other drug harms across Australia. They have a range of community based resources which support this aim. They also have local and community Drug Action Teams. If one of these teams exist in your community they could be a valuable partner.
Narcotics Anonymous is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. NA holds online meetings and is committed to outreach so they are a valuable resource even in remote areas. Alcoholics Anonymous is a similar service.
School Transport Assistance Scheme (STAS)
The Queensland Government provides assistance for eligible students travelling to and from school under the School Transport Assistance Scheme.
General eligibility criteria
Students may be eligible for assistance under STAS if they:
- have parents/guardians who are residents of Queensland
- attend an approved school on a full-time basis
- are younger than 19 years of age
- are seeking transport assistance to and from one address only
- are travelling more than 1 trip per week
- Positive school community
- Student skills for resilience
- Parents and families
- Support for students experiencing mental health difficulties
Relocation Scholarship (Centrelink)
To get a Relocation Scholarship you must:
- study full time in an approved scholarship course
- be a dependent student, or
- have a special reason why you’re independent
- need to move to or from a regional or remote area to study
for more information, visit this website or contact Centrelink by phone on 132 490.
PO Box 368, 66 Callide St
BILOELA QLD 4715
(07) 4992 1040