Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme (Centrelink)
The assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local government school because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Eligibility Basics
  • The child meets the living, age and study requirements, and
  • is geographically isolated,
  • has a disability or special need, or
  • has no reasonable access to a government school.

For more information please visit this website or contact Centrelink by phone on 132 318.

Australian Institute for disaster Resilience: Education for Young People
This group of resources is designed to educate young people about natural disasters. There are a range of easily adapted lesson plans including a module on drought. There is also a range of other resources for teachers, schools and psychologists which aim to support young people psychologically in times of adversity. To access these resources visit AIDR Education for Young People. For more information on the Australian Institute of Disaster Resilience, visit their website.
Drug and Alcohol Education
There are a variety of resources available for drug and alcohol education. Some are targeted at school students or their parents and others at the general public.

The Australian Government Department of Health has a collection of online resources called Drug Help. These resources include how to find help, the risks of drug use and drug information, as well as targeted resources for parents and friends of drug users, parents and teachers.

The Queensland Department of Education’s alcohol and other drugs education program is also available to all Queensland schools (other state government education departments are likely to have equivalents.). The department also provides resources for parents which go along with the school program.

The Alcohol and Drug Foundation seeks to prevent alcohol and other drug harms across Australia. They have a range of community based resources which support this aim. They also have local and community Drug Action Teams. If one of these teams exist in your community they could be a valuable partner.

Narcotics Anonymous is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. NA holds online meetings and is committed to outreach so they are a valuable resource even in remote areas. Alcoholics Anonymous is a similar service.

School Transport Assistance Scheme (STAS)

The Queensland Government provides assistance for eligible students travelling to and from school under the School Transport Assistance Scheme.

General eligibility criteria

Students may be eligible for assistance under STAS if they:

  • have parents/guardians who are residents of Queensland
  • attend an approved school on a full-time basis
  • are younger than 19 years of age
  • are seeking transport assistance to and from one address only
  • are travelling more than 1 trip per week
Beyondblue: MindMatters
MindMatters is a mental health initiative for secondary schools that aims to improve the mental health and wellbeing of young people. The Mind Matters Program is called a ‘framework’ as it provides structure, guidance and support while enabling schools to build their own mental health strategy to suit their unique circumstances. MindMatters provides school staff with blended professional learning that includes online resources, Spotlights on topics relevant to schools, face-to-face events, webinars and support. All content has been informed by strong evidence in the area of school mental health and wellbeing. The use of MindMatters’ comprehensive resources has mental health benefits for the entire school community – including students, families and school staff. The MindMatters mental health framework is built around four key components:

  • Positive school community
  • Student skills for resilience
  • Parents and families
  • Support for students experiencing mental health difficulties
Together these components provide a holistic and comprehensive view of student mental health and wellbeing within the wider school community. For more information, visit the website.
Relocation Scholarship (Centrelink)
A once a year payment if you get ABSTUDY or Youth Allowance and need to move from a regional or remote area for higher education study.

 Eligibility Basics

To get a Relocation Scholarship you must:

for more information, visit this website or contact Centrelink by phone on 132 490.


Contact Us:

PO Box 368, 66 Callide St

(07) 4992 1040